Monday, April 27, 2015

Success!!

On Monday I went to Joanns!! There was this super nice lady who helped me find everything! She suggested I make a circle  skirt which I decided to make with this black and white fabric. I also really wanted to make a T-shirt so I got this blue fabric for that. She helped me pick out the right needles and she even showed me this mini sewing machine that I might want to try out! I attached a picture of the things I got below:
It ended up being 50 dollars which my mom was not very happy about...

On Monday night I made my first garment!! The lady at Jo Ann's told me how to make a skirt so I measured my waist and cut it, which was really easy, but then I had to make the waist band. That was a little more difficult.. I had to sew a cover and then turn it inside out and put in the elastic. It sounds easy but it's harder than you'd think. Then I had to actually sew the band onto the skirt. That was even more challenging ! To be honest I didn't look up that many tutorials on how to do this (which I now regret) but I just kind of winged it. It turned out pretty good! It would have been great if it fit... I must have measured the waist band wrong because I couldn't get it on! But here's a picture of my skirt!!

I realize my mistake as I'm typing this... I measured the smallest part on my waist when you are supposed to measure the biggest part. Good thing I know that for next time! I'm gonna sew a new waist band and see if I can fix it! I also learned that it's absolutely terrifying when you lose a needle on your bed.


2 comments:

  1. Due to the fact that you are in the art strand, do you see sewing as another fascinating art challenge? I know for a fact that sewing comes in handy, so don't forget all your progress! In the future, do you plan on taking a career that involves your newly found sewing abilities? Also, do you plan on continuing this project in the summer? Last but not least, do you believe that sewing has given you a new perspective on what art is and how diverse it can be?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew a girl in college who knew how to sew. She didn't even use patterns (but she learned from using patterns). And she had the most amazing, most original wardrobe. No one else had the same clothes she did, everything was original and custom-made. Anyway, maybe that'll be you. Even if it isn't, you're learning a very practical skill.

    ReplyDelete