Wednesday, April 15, 2015

My sewing disaster!!

I recently found out that my friend Alanna has a sewing machine! She was kind enough to let me borrow it, so today I went to her house and got it from her. She even let me use some of her thread!

As soon as i got home, I got a scratch piece of cloth and tried to start practicing. First of all it was a hassle to even thread the machine. I couldn't find all of the loops that the thread goes through. I called Alanna and she helped me find them all and I started sewing! I sewed one line and as I was taking the fabric from under the machine, all the thread just came out! I was very confused. As it turns out, I just forgot to pull the lever that puts the foot down. Also, one of the thread guides you have to put the thread through went inside the machine! Neither of us were sure how or why that happened, but I asked Alanna if I could continue with out it and she told me to try it.

Time for my second try! I put the same piece of fabric under the needle and pressed my foot down on the pedal. I sewed a line again and this time when I was done sewing it I tried to pull it out and it was stuck! I had to somewhat take the machine apart to fix it! It was very difficult to put it back together but I finally got it! However, after all that, I realized that I couldn't even continue now because the broken thread guide was the reason for this whole debacle. So for now I can't keep practicing until we get the machine fixed...bummer.
 Alanna and I are going to plan a time with her grandmother so we can try to get the machine fixed.  I hope it wasn't anything I did and I hope it will be repairable. I'm a little upset that I now have to wait to continue my learning, but everyone experiences bumps in the road sometimes.

 So, I guess there's no such thing as beginners luck, but I will definitely try again and hopefully I can get the hang of it.

4 comments:

  1. I did almost the exact same things when I started sewing! Unlike you, though, I did not press on. Try going to Joann's and asking one of the nice ladies there to show you how to use one of the machines. They'll probably be happy to show you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ive always wanted to learn how sew. I tried it once and the same things happened to me too. I hope ypu figure it out tho. Good luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This may just be a little bump in the rode, but I know we can figure it out..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so excited for you! I was wondering when you were going to start sewing and your first attempt went pretty well. I've had friends who thought sewing only involved a needle and thread for hand stiching. I know you'll get better and better :)

    ReplyDelete